Wednesday, May 18, 2011

So Easy a Kid Could do it

But I don't recommend that....

So, I have a love for potato soup. LOVE. Unfortunately, it takes a long time to make and sometimes you just don't have that much time on your hands. I had been searching for a shortcut for making potato soup and I finally found it! Well, sort of. I found a recipe and then I altered it so it would be vegetarian. =)

Here's the original recipe from Food Network:

1 baking potato
2 (10-ounce) cans Cheddar cheese soup
2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1/4 cup real bacon pieces
Sour cream, for garnish
Green onion, finely chopped, optional for garnish

Directions:

Microwave the baking potato for 7 to 8 minutes on high. Carefully remove from microwave using oven mitts. It will be HOT! Set aside until cool enough to touch.

When potato is cool, cut into 1/2-inch cubes.

Add Cheese soup, chicken stock, and bacon pieces to a medium pan. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally over medium high heat. Add potato and continue to heat soup for 5 minutes.

Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a few chopped green onions.


I doubled the recipe (crazy!) because I didn't know how much it would make and I started out by microwaving the potato like the recipe says. But then I got a little rebellious... I used broccoli cheese soup instead of cheese and used vegetarian vegetable broth instead of chicken stock. And I didn't even put the bacon in! *Gasp*


After the potatoes cooled down, I chopped them up.


Then the potatoes got added into the pan with the simmering mixture.


This is what it looked like after simmering the potatoes for about 5 minutes.


After adding a little cheese, it was ready to eat!


Now it's not as delicious as the regular, but in a pinch it works. =)

In other news, I'm getting over strep throat so pretty much any soup sounds really amazing right now.

8 comments:

Susan R said...

Potato sou is one of my favorites. I'm sure homemade is the best, it always is, but I also buy a potato soup mix from the local grocery called Bear Creek, it is actually wonderful. What's more is my kiddos like it, so it must be good. I have the world's pickiest eaters.

Susan R said...

soup, not sou...I can't spell to save my life. My fingers work faster than my brain and it makes me look like an idiot.

The Atwoods said...

Yummy!! Looks delicious :) I love Potato Soup too. I esp. love O'Charley's, but we don't have that up here :(

The Cooking Photographer said...

What a cool shortcut! I don't feel like cooking, this would have been nice tonight.

L

Red Door Home said...

Looks easy and simple and of course yummy!

Lacie @ Creative Attempts said...

ooo this looks so good and because it refuses to warm up around here this would be great comfort food lol

Rhiannon {Hey Gorg} said...

This sounds so incredibly yummy :) Anything with potatoes is my fave! xo

claire said...

looks amazing... if i wasnt attempting to diet i would make this